Historical Timeline

1884

Queen Kapiolani opens Maui’s first hospital, Malulani, which means "Protection of Heaven."

1927

The County of Maui assumes financial responsibility for Malulani Hospital after it is handed over from Queen Kapiolani.

1952

Malulani reopens with a new, 140-bed facility under the name Central Maui Memorial Hospital in honor of Maui’s fallen veterans.

1956

Paia, Puunene and Lahaina plantation hospitals close down, turning Central Maui Memorial Hospital into the only acute care hospital on Maui.

1963

The hospital is renamed Maui Memorial Hospital.

1966

The County of Maui transfers purview of the hospital to the State of Hawaii.

1998

Maui Memorial Hospital is renamed Maui Memorial Medical Center, reflecting the broader range of services offered.

1998

The Hawaii State Legislature creates the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation to oversee administration of Maui Memorial Medical Center and 12 other hospitals that were formerly under the control of the Department of Health’s Community Hospitals Division.

2004

Air ambulance service is introduced to retrieve patients from rural parts of the island as quickly as possible.

2006

The new four-story, 75,000-square-foot Kahului Tower is completed. The $46 Million project includes a new lobby and admitting area, a Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy Department with a gym, a new Ambulatory Surgery Center with four procedure rooms and two fully-equipped Endoscopy Suites, an Intensive Care Unit, and a 24-bed Medical/Surgical Unit with upgraded patient and public waiting rooms.

The hospital announces plans for an enhanced Cardiovascular Program; offers first series of Malama Pu‘uwai Programs (Take Care of Your Heart) Cardiac Wellness classes for the community.

2007

The Heart, Brain & Vascular Center opens.

2008

Renovation of the Emergency Department is completed. The $4.2 Million adds extra exam/treatment rooms and more comfortable waiting areas for patients and families.

2010

The Kahului Tower is renamed “The Representative Bob Nakasone Kahului Tower” in memory of the late Maui politician who was longtime supporter of the hospital.

Construction begins on the $3 Million Helipad, enhancing patient care by providing faster access in critical emergencies.

2011

Launch of new Heart Program featuring fully-staffed Emergency Department and experienced team of Cardiologists and cardiac catheter lab personnel available 24/7 to provide advanced emergency care.

The Heart Program performs the first angioplasty.